Thursday, January 25, 2018

Skeletons.


As the only child of only children Jen had always yearned to be part of a large and loving family. When she marries Jason her dreams become true as his devoted parents and siblings are part of the package. Jen loves being part of the boisterous supportive Materson family but when she catches her father in law in a somewhat compromising position Jen realises that everything in the family she has come to adore may not be quite as perfect as it seems. As Jen struggles to keep secret what she has found out, it begins to cause tension and take a toll on her marriage. When Jen finally unloads her secret to the family explosive repercussions occur...

I was in the mood for a light hearted chick-lit style book and I have read and enjoyed a couple of other books by Jane Fallon immensely so I picked this up expecting some light hearted escapist entertainment. Sorry to say Skeletons was a big disappointment to me. There were simply too many scenarios that were unrealistic for me in this slow moving, shallowly plotted book and considering it was based around a tight knit family the characters didn't appear to know each other all that well at all. Normally when I read a book I get a pretty good picture in my head of the characters but I simply couldn't get one of Jen, the pieces didn't add up, she seemed dithery, slightly irritating and dull. 

The writing wasn't bad but there were simply too many cliches and stabs at humour that didn't come across all that well for me to enjoy it. On the plus side I did like all the references to things that were very English but at the end of the book I felt that it had been something that I had read more to pass the time rather than for enjoyment.



No comments:

Post a Comment