Thursday, January 11, 2018

A Little Life.


A Little Life tells the stories of four close friends, Jude, Wilhelm, J.B., and Malcolm. The four met at college and at the beginning of the book they are starting out, trying to make lives for themselves in New York. As the book progresses more is revealed about the four of them and their lives as they all become successful in their chosen fields.
Of the four men, Jude is the principle character and A Little Life is above all his story. After a horrifically abusive childhood and adolescence which has left him with disabilities and recurrent pain (both physical and mental) which he refuses to address Jude becomes immensely successful in his career and although he is surrounded by people who love and support him he cannot overcome his past.

A Little Life is quite simply one of the best books that I have ever read.
 It has been on my reading list for some time, but knowing that it was going to be a harrowing read I waited until I was in the right frame of mind to read it. It is beautifully written and the characters are so convincingly real that when I finished I felt as if I had parted company with real people. 
It is profound and deeply moving, a very raw read that I found to be highly rewarding. This is a long book - over 700 pages - but I never found myself losing interest  or wishing for it to end.
Quite frankly it's superb, not an easy read, but a rewarding and brilliant one. 

Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment