Thursday, December 1, 2016

The Rise, The Fall and The Rise.


Brix Smith Start's autobiography opens with a privileged childhood in Beverly Hills. During her teenage years Brix becomes obsessed with music - specifically English music. A chance meeting with The Fall's lead singer, Mark E. Smith in Chicago leads to their falling in love and she moves to a grim 1980's Manchester and becomes a member of The Fall at the height of their popularity.

Following the break up of her marriage to Mark, Brix leaves the band and moves to London where she embarks upon her own musical career before becoming a successful fashion retailer/stylist and eventually a popular British TV personality.

This was a fantastic read! It's candid and revealing as well as being very humorous. I loved the way that she told her story. It was well written in a chatty style and I finished this feeling that I had really got to know her. (I must say that it took me some time to get through this book, but that was only because I kept putting it down to look up something on line or watch something on YouTube that had been mentioned in the book.)

Before reading this I didn't know much about The Fall and I didn't know anything about Brix Smith Start so I didn't have much in the way of expectations when I picked The Rise, The Fall and The Rise up - I've come away full of admiration for this talented stylish woman.

Recommended

No comments:

Post a Comment