Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Nutshell.


In a dilapidated London townhouse an eight and a half month old fetus bears witness as his Mother and her lover plot to kill his Father. Can the unborn baby will himself to be born in time to foil the deadly scheme and escape of the killers?

That in a nutshell is the plot of Nutshell the latest book by Ian McEwan. On paper it sounds too bizarre a concept to pull off, but this is Ian McEwan, so of course it all somehow magically manages to work and it is a credible read. This is a shortish novel so it is a quick read but nonetheless, despite being somewhat quirky, it is an entertaining and engaging story. 

I like all of McEwan's books so, if like me, you are a fan I am sure you will enjoy this. The plot is intricate and the writing is stylish and sparse. (My only criticism is that it took me some time to stop voicing the extremely erudite fetus in a Stewie from Family Guy accent...)
That aside I loved everything about this unusual book.

Recommended.    

No comments:

Post a Comment