Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Modern Lovers.


Modern Lovers tells the story of three old college friends. 
Years ago Andrew, Elizabeth and Zoe were carefree and on the cusp of fame with their college band Kitty's Moustache. Now all living in the same neighborhood of Brooklyn, Andrew and Elizabeth are a couple with a shy teenage son, Harry, and Zoe lives nearby with her partner Jane and their teenage daughter Ruby.

Modern Lovers is about relationships between friends, parents, children and marriage partners. The adults in the book are all discontented with adult life in some way and their outlooks contrast nicely with those of Harry and Zoe, both of whom are setting out in life with high hopes for their futures. 

I must admit that I'm not a huge fan of Emma Straub and although I did like this more than the previous novel I read by her (The Vacationers) I was still somewhat disappointed by it. Modern Lovers was a light read and while there were some funny moments I found it hard to relate to the characters or the situations they were in. The characters were all a little too self absorbed to be likeable and the lack of communication between the characters was frustrating and something that I found hard to understand. 

Overall this one missed the mark for me...

No comments:

Post a Comment