Sunday, August 6, 2017

The Sunshine Sisters.


Ronni Sunshine was a successful actress with little time for anything other than her career, even her own family. Now living in near seclusion in Connecticut she has been diagnosed with a serious illness and wishes to die. Before she does, she feels the need to reconnect with her three estranged adult daughters making what amends she can to them and encouraging them to get to know each other again. 
The daughters are all wildly different: independent Nell, insecure Meredith and successful but spoiled Lizzy, each going through difficulties of their own. Can a rekindling of sisterly love help them to reconnect and find their true selves again?

Summer is not really summer without a new Jane Green novel in my beach bag I feel, and this has definitely been marketed as such - just look at that cover! (Which I must say bears little or no relevance to the story). This wasn't exactly a light hearted, feel good, beach book, the family is far too dysfunctional and the characters have too many problems for that to be so, but it was a fast and enjoyable read perfect for whiling away a few days. Jane Green writes in her usual trademark flowing style, but I have noticed that of late her books contain highly detailed descriptions of meal preparations and interior design details which I find somewhat annoying and superfluous. Having said that, that's about my only criticism and I thought that this marked a return to form for the author after her last book, Falling, which I found to be severely disappointing. 

I zapped my way through The Sunshine Sisters, the storyline wasn't challenging but there was quite enough happening to keep me engrossed. The ending wrapped everything up neatly, if a little predictably, but all in all this was an engaging read.

Recommended for your beachbag!

No comments:

Post a Comment