Sunday, April 16, 2017

My Perfume Collection.


I wear perfume everyday and in the same way that I like to change my clothing to represent my mood and whatever I am going to be doing on a certain day I also like to wear different fragrances depending on my mood and activities. I don't think that I will ever be someone who has a 'signature scent' as there are simply too many fragrances that I love!

Most of the time I am happy experimenting with the numerous samples and minis that I have but there are certain fragrances that enchant me enough to invest in a full sized bottle and I like to use these at the weekend or if I am going out in the evenings. 
I'm aware that perfume is a luxury item, it's not cheap by any stretch of the imagination and it's something that you want rather than need. Although my collection is fairly small it's a somewhat decadent indulgence that I greatly enjoy.
There's a perennial best seller, a few more unusual scents and a trio from my favourite perfume house Diptyque. 

CHLOE Eau de Parfum.
This is by far the most conventional fragrance that I own, a well loved powdery floral scent that is very popular. It is a very feminine blend of rose and peony that is a little heady and heavy on application although I find that this fades away pretty quickly on me as it develops. This is my most 'everyday' type of scent and I will often grab a spritz of this on my way to work. I'd also reach for it if I was wearing a dress!

FRESH Patchouli Pure.
I've had this for quite some time, so long in fact, that I think it may not be produced anymore. I like this but it is very strong and it continues to wear strong even as it develops. I find I don't need to use much of this at all and I don't need to reapply it throughout the day. 
As it's name suggests it is pretty much a pure patchouli scent. It has the soap-y-ness that I like in patchoulis but it also has hints of mint and orange which makes it suitable for any time of the year. This is quite a masculine scent, almost after shave like but I like that about it!   

MIN New York Shaman.
This is another strong patchouli fragrance that lasts well on me but it's quite different from the Fresh one. MIN New York is a wonderful perfumerie in Soho, New York that sell a wide selection of niche fragrance brands for both the body and the home as well as producing their own perfumes. Hand blended in limited quantities these perfumes are unique and very special. Shaman is a magical mystical patchouli with notes of violet, rose and frankincense. It retains patchouli's signature soap-y-ness but this is a very feminine patchouli. It is pungent and sensual - a very sexy scent! 

Commes des Garcons Parfums Series 3 Incense Avignon.
I adore the scent of incense and this is a heady blend of frankincense and myrrh sweetened by a touch of vanilla. There's also a good whack of my old friend patchouli in here that I love! This fragrance is intensely smoky - an intriguing and unusual fragrance that smells very 'church like'. It's another one that goes on strong and lasts well on me. I particularly enjoy wearing this in the winter months as I find it to be very warm and comforting.
  
Diptyque Oud Palao.
Diptyque may well be my favourite perfume house! I have three of their fragrances and there are more that I covet. Oud Palao is their newest launch and as soon as I smelled it I was obsessed! I have been looking for an affordable oud fragrance for some time but I wanted an oud that had been softened a little, for as much as I love it, it can be a little too woody and heavy. Oud Palao is heavy on the oud but it has been softened by the addition of rose and vanilla notes. This is currently my most reached for scent, I find it to be deliciously smoky and very wearable.

Diptyque Eau Duelle.
I like vanilla accords in fragrances mainly because they are so good at softening the scents that I prefer such as patchouli, incense and oud. Eau Duelle is heavy on the vanilla but its not at all sweet or sickly. It is a spicy vanilla that feels warm. A little woody and a little musky I enjoy it's cardamom notes and find this to be very wearable. I wear it year round but it comes into it's own in winter when I want a softer scent. For me this is the olefactory equivalent of a cashmere jumper!

Diptyque Philosykos.
I love Philosykos, it's the perfect, summery, warm weather scent for me - it's light and refreshing but still somewhat unusual. It's a pure fig scent but it's not too sweet or fruity and somehow manages to be warm and woody yet sharp and green almost a little fizzy all at the same time. It's ever so slightly coconut-ty - there's a bit of a beach thing going on that makes it very wearable yet it is still grown up and sophisticated.

As you can see my collection definitely favours smoky spicy scents - most often with a dash of patchouli it seems. I don't have any plans to add to my collection in the near future but if I were to top of my list would be something that smells very summery almost like suntan lotion on warm skin - something such as Tom Ford's Soleil Blanc for instance. Following that I would like to buy a couple of things from the innovative perfume house L'Etat d'Orange Libre - their powdery floral Putain des Palaces along with Fils de Dieu a refreshing yet spicy blend of asian flavourings and florals would be good to start off with.
In reality I think that seven fragrances are quite enough to be going on with, my perfume collection is (hopefully) going to be a strictly one out/one in affair....  


No comments:

Post a Comment