Thursday, April 6, 2017

I Hate Everyone Except You.


I Hate Everyone Except You is a collection of autobiographical essays from American TV host Clinton Kelly. 
This collection of lighthearted entertaining tales reminded me somewhat of books that I have read by David Sedaris, not quite as funny and not as well written but similar in approach and execution. The majority of the stories here concern Kelly's family, upbringing and career and whilst they didn't have me laughing out loud I found them pretty amusing. 

A couple of the pieces of writing were in different styles, one took the form of a script for an imaginary sitcom, the other was a transcript of an interview with the author. I found that both of these were unenjoyable, the script was actually so bad that it was kind of embarrassing and I'm left wondering why the editors included these two chapters here as they didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the book. I can only think that as the book is quite short that they were left in as padding....

I didn't have ant sort of expectations for this book when I picked it up but overall I was pleasantly surprised. It was a quick entertaining read with the exclusion of the two more experimental pieces of writing.
If you are looking for something to read that is light and non taxing this fits the bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment